Friday, July 13, 2012

Introducing Ahoua Koné, one of the contributors to the blog

“Do you speak African?” Lets conceptualize the absurdity of this question by changing the adjective: "Do you speak European/North American/Asian/Australian?" I hope I got my point across, yet this question amongst others seem to easily flow from people’s mouth to my ears. 

Unlike the other contributor to the blog, Ali Latifa Fakhry, I currently do not reside in Côte d’Ivoire and have not done so on a permanent basis for a couple of years. Despite the physical distance, I’m still connected to the country; it’s my birthplace, it's where my family and friends live, and it's home to me.


After years of frustration from the general ineptitude and ignorance I’ve encountered, and being demeaned to a simple National Geographic special, I look forward to showing you one country on the continent, my hometown.
 
I have no intention of speaking for the whole Ivorian community, that attempt alone will start another civil war. Nor do I intent to fluff the reality of life, it can be challenging, but after all découragement n’est pas Ivoirien. 

And yes, I’ve seen wild animals such as elephants and lions, and the first time I saw them was at a zoo in the US, not in my backyard in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.  

Although Salif Keita is Malian, I think this is one of the best songs to capture the essence of this blog


 Ahoua Koné on FB : Ahoua Koné

No comments:

Post a Comment