Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"The Africa you DONT know" Mission Statment


I am frustrated with some questions people ask me, such as:

“Oh, you live in Ivory Coast? Have you ever seen a lion in your garden?”

“UF! You have internet?!”

“How’s live there? I hope you are not attacked on a daily basis”

“Tell us about the tribes that eat humans!”

“It’s a war zone; you are so courageous to live there”

“Malaria can kill you; I heard that my friend’s cousin died of a disease in Africa”

I don’t really blame my friends for asking such questions, it's mostly due to how the media and Hollywood depicts the continent. They brainwash people by depicting an Africa of diseases, dictators, war, ethnic/religious struggles, corruption, and slavery.


On the other hand, if they want to be positive, they show you the cosmopolitan, posh, touristic and colonial face of Africa.

I am a young Lebanese who is lucky enough to have the opportunity to live in Ivory Coast (Côte d' Ivoire) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te_d'Ivoire

I knew very well where I was going before I moved to Ivory Coast, but the beautiful thing about it was the surprise I received, it exceeded my expectations. I didn't like it. I fell in love with it.

I am fascinated by this continent’s charm, music, people, culture and ethnic diversity.

I am in love with its food, character and its exciting daily life.


To wake up every morning facing a new experience is something priceless. Routine as a word doesn't exist in this part of the world. You simply wake up to wonder what new experience / challenge you'll be facing. Whether from learning about the country's history, its traditions, food, music, people, magic, and even dignity.

My mission is clear. I have decided, moving forward, to start showing you the true colors of Africa and not the Black and White colors that the west made sure to engrave in your brains. Posting from my every day’s events, be it a song, food, funny or sad story, politics, tradition....Just simple short and straight forward stories that will allow you to know real life out here.


You got your own stories, please feel free to share them with me: aafakhry@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment