Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Happy Independence...I guess - Ivory Coast


If I were a drinking woman, I would devour a sweet yet bitter cocktail that could capture my frustration and tattered expectations in honor of August 7th, Ivorian Independence Day.

A little dated but there was this huge fan-fare about 50 years of independence. 

I never endured the denigration of colonialism, I was born 27 years after its symbolic end, instead I hopped and skipped around its close cousin neo-colonialism.  I don’t know what it feels like to be subjected to second-class citizenry in my own country; I can openly embrace and display my culture without fearing someone’s attempt to de-legitimatize and supplant it. And for that I am eternally grateful. But sovereignty encompasses more than cultural freedom, and I have to question the status of our economic autonomy.




Today, Côte d’Ivoire celebrates its 52nd independence from France. Fifty-two years of independence and what do we have to show for it? One coup d’état, one civil war, a per capita GDP of $1,600, a literacy rate of 46.6% for females age 15 and over, and the list seems to go on. We can blame the allocation of resources and arbitrary borders that were constructed with little regard to ethnic tensions during the Berlin Conference, that topic alone warrants its own series on this blog. I know when it comes to African development, historical context is important, but just for a moment lets set it aside.



Like so many exasperated Africans, I have a hard time comprehending the conundrum African countries find themselves in, especially with regard to debt. Then again, I don’t when I see the ostentatious mansions our politicians own. Since independence Côte d’Ivoire has accrued a debt of $12.9 billion, not bad compared to the current US debt of $17.5 trillion, but we have a GDP of  $36.5 billion. They were spending nearly one-third of their revenue paying off debts. However, under the Heavily Indebted Poor Country (HIPC) Initiative through the IMF and World Bank, nearly $7.7 billion of that debt has been forgiven. Attaining loans from the IMF and World Bank is comparable to signing a pact with the devil, then to have them and other loaning agencies forgive your debts sounds too good to be true. I was hopeful this would give the government an opportunity to assess the reckless actions that lead to the original debt crisis. And once again, my dreams were shattered.  Two weeks after the debt cancellation, it was announced that China would be loaning $100 million for road construction. All in the name of development, right?

Nearly 43% of the population lives below the poverty line, and I’m sure the civil war and 10 years of stagnation contributed to that dismal statistic. I appreciate President Ouattara’s effort to eventually rebrand Côte d’Ivoire as an emerging market, but he’s been in the political game since independence along with a majority of his cabinet members. It’s the same story across the continent. A change of guards is overdue, one that can end the heavy reliance of loans and reduce the cyclical nature of borrowing.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a white paper ready...yet.  We can continue to blame all the –isms, conferences and other countries simple greed, but eventually that has to stop. Yes, they were looking out for their self-interest at our expense, it’s been acknowledged and disseminated countless times. Maybe it’s time for our politicians to prioritize the entire population’s best interest, instead of co-signing quick solutions with no long-term sustainability.  There comes a point where we have to relinquish our past and dismantle the culture  of victimhood in order to face the encounters of the present.

So today, I raise my imaginary glass to Côte d’Ivoire and other African countries, and I toast to your future emancipation. Cheers! 


  By Ahoua Koné

4 comments:

  1. $$$ Loan apply now with 3% interest rate for more details $$$
    Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business? Do you need

    loan to pay off your debt and start a new life? You have come to the

    right place were we offer Loans at a very low interest rate of 3%.

    Interested people/company should please contact us via email for

    more details and get funded.
    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    Application For loan.
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Date Of Birth:
    Address:
    Sex:
    Phone No:
    City:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Country:
    Nationality:
    Occupation:
    Monthly Income:
    Amount Needed:
    Duration:
    Purpose of the loan:
    E-mail address:

    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Day,

    Are you in any kind of financial difficulties? Your help comes now.
    Are you having sleepless night worrying how to get a Loan?Don't allow
    your dreams to die, or are you looking for whom to trust or having you been scammed by INTERNET fraud stars, or you have been turned down by other financial company contact
    JOYCE MYERS LOAN COMPANY today for
    easy and reliable loan. Please you are to fill out this form showed
    below this email.{{{finance2014911@gmail.com }}}

    BORROWERS APPLICANT FORM
    Full Names:............
    Gender:....................
    Marital status:.........
    Contact Address:...........
    Country:........................
    State:..........................
    Age:...........................
    Monthly Income:..............
    Loan Amount:...................
    Duration of Loan:............
    Date Of Loan Needed:.............
    Weekly Income:....................
    Occupation:.........................
    Purpose for Loan:.................
    Phone Number:....................
    Personal Phone Number:.........
    Fax Number:......................
    How Did You Hear About This Company?........

    ReplyDelete

  3. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete



  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete